RSPB Pulborough brooks

This was the first trip to RSPB Pulborough by members of our group. Seven of us made the 72-mile journey meeting in the café overlooking the gorgeous scenery. In the far distance the flood plains contained little and a great egret, black headed gulls and in a tree much to the amusement of the group a common buzzard though to be an owl by a certain member of the group. House sparrows confident in themselves perched next to us eagerly awaiting any crumbs and a number of rabbits fed on the lush grass and white domesticated doves sat on the visitor centre roof.

Moving off to join the wetland trail we passed by three small bee houses buy with bees buzzing around in large numbers and house sparrows were busy in out and of the nest boxes chirping away as they do. After only a few minutes down the track we heard then saw a greenfinch high up in a tree but clear enough to see its wonderful colours. Chiffchaffs and blackcaps sang way and on the way to a nearby feeding station we saw not more than 20 metres away a nightingale singing without a care in the world and upon spotting that (well done Chris) many other visitors in the reserve joined us appreciating the magnificent sounds and seeing it fully in the open was a joy to behold.

At the first hide we saw a number of waterfowl, a snipe doing its best to hide and it was welcoming to see a couple of redshanks and a few lapwings. The horrendous flooding had somewhat abated but still lots of water present, so waders were at a premium.

The next hide a couple of avocets where close by and we decided to haver lunch and recharge our batteries. Afterwards we heard a number of sedge warblers and a tree creeper, but we missed the stork probably going back to or coming from Knepp a few miles away. Sadly, no white-tailed eagle though some thought we did spot one high up in the sky, but it turned out to be a grey heron much to the amusement of the group.

On the way back to the visitors centre we again were treated to the sounds of a nightingale and the distant sound of a cuckoo singing. A couple of the group said their goodbyes whilst the remainder sat down for a refreshing drink only to see the cuckoo in the same area we saw the buzzard earlier in the morning, red kites and buzzards soared above us saying goodbye and it was time to leave.